1 Nov 2011

Portraits in small places

So you don't have a studio, and the wife won't let you convert the spare room either, and the garage is full of junk, so what to do to be able to use that shiny dslr and the speedlights you got for Christmas last year and you've been itching to put to good use? Well you make some compromises and improvise. I have been living in a small apartment for the past year and don't have much space, but I can still setup my lights for a two light pic like the one below:


Here is how I set it up:


By using the curtains as a backdrop and squeezing the lights in between couches and side tables I managed to get a fairly good two light portrait set-up. Behind the model is my Strobist DIY Beauty Dish on a tripod. To the right and high is a shoot through umbrella on my junky tripod converted to super cool light stand. Nikon sb600 in the beauty dish and sb700 in the umbrella, both triggered via Nikons very cool CLS system. Easy peasy!

2 comments:

  1. ... and you want me to tell you that this is a good portrait? Arghhh...

    Joking, my friend, just joking! It is, in fact, a fairly impressive "studio" portrait. She is beautiful and has a very expressive face, and that helps quite a lot as we both know. But you went way beyond that and for that I congratulate you, It's dead easy to mess up a studio portrait. You did not...

    Roger :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Always the witty one Roger! Makes my day, keep them coming!

    I am thrilled that you like my effort too, as I have high regard for your own work!

    It's always a challenge to me to use the worst situations/equipment/etc. possible and see if I can still come up with something halfway decent. It's a little like climbing a mountain, you just do it for the fun of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete