6 Mar 2010

Olympus Trip 35 Cult

I just discovered that a particularly addictive cult exists in the world today that seems to be grabbing thousands of unsuspecting and innocent people and turning them into retro photographers. It is the cult of the Olympus Trip 35.
I was quite innocently lured into this seedy cult this week when I unknowingly purchased an Olympus Trip 35 at a local antique store this week for the incredible price of R30 ($3.90) and I confess that I am hooked!

I am not really sure what it is, but it just feels right in the hand, a small solidly built piece of craftsmanship that simply oozes simplicity. It has a nifty 40mm f2.8 Zuiko lens that is reported to be quite sharp and, judging by the photos I Googled, is quite capable of outperforming some of the more modern pieces of kit out there. Excuse me as I wipe the beads of sweat from my palms...

Judging by the low serial number, mine was manufactured some time in the 60's. I will be able to get the exact date when I get the film out and can look under the pressure plate. I discovered this fact here. I was so eager to get film in and start shooting that I didn't find this out until today when I looked it up on line. Holy smokes, that means this camera is almost as old as I am!

When I finish my roll of film I will scan the results and post them for your viewing pleasure.

You can buy them reconditioned here: Trip Man
Ken Rockwell has a nice little review here: Ken Rockwell Trip 35
Camerapedia lists it here: Trip 35
A blog for it exists here: Olympus Trip 35
You can find a manual here: Trip 35 Manual

The manual is a very reasonable 12 pages instead of the volumes you need to read before you turn on your new dslr.

Please be advised that this cult is extremely addictive and will probably get you too if you don't exercise some restraint and take suitable precautions... or you can just jump right in and smile insanely, yet smugly, like the rest of us!

13 comments:

  1. Oh man... I'm not surprised ;-) Olympus had some cameras one can fall in love with... All in all I can't wait for results :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great little camera. I bought a refurbished one through eBay a couple of years ago. The lens is a real little cracker and the exposure is fine most of the time. It's great having the old selenium meter, so no battery needed. The silver shutter button, rather than a black plastic one, is also a give-away that it is an early one, like mine. You won't be sorry you bought it. Worth getting a lens hood, you can get these easily from eBay. They slot on over the lens barrel and have a little screw to tighten it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man after my heart. I'm looking at my 1965 Asahi Pentax SLR right now, with its beautiful 50mm... I bought that one new, I'm an old geezer after all!

    I never read a manual BTW. They're worse than a Sony remote.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to David for helping to keep this little gem of a camera alive! Best wishes, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I purchased a trip 35 today, so i'm curious how it will work out for me! Thank you for the useful article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey David,this is a really great website and i cant say im not tempted to buy my own,but when get back I can just use yours...Right?Haha much love to you and the guys back home can't wait to get back,love Daryl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great website Lanthus - I've had a Trip 35 for years and still love it and use it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great cameras, but due to a total lack of labs for film here in Southern Sweden I have not run any film through mine for over a year now. I think I may be getting withdrawal symptoms! ;-)

      Delete
  8. It must be just me but i tried to love this camera but it is too hit and miss to waste good money on. Fully manual at least gives you a chance to get it into focus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, it does take a bit of practice, but when you get the feel for it the Trip 35 is a really fast camera to use, making for an especially good "street" camera!

      Delete
  9. am selling my olympus trip 35 - 1978 black shutter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ever since a friend gave me an Olympus Trip as a gift, that he'd bought for £1 in the local charity shop, I've been totally addicted to it. I get some really good results. But it's like anything... you have to practice.

    ReplyDelete