25 Oct 2009

Krummy Camera Review

Time for another totally useless camera review.

I went to our local Hospice charity shop a few weeks ago and came across a Kodak VR35 for the bargain price of R15 (US$2). I figured it would be fun to try it out and see if it had any life left in it, and so today I am going to review this little horror... umm, I mean gem:

It came with a cloth carry case and the handy carry strap that you can see in the picture above, and even has an external flash mount. I loaded it with a roll of Fuji Superia 400 and hit the road. (and yes, I really did leave the price tag on)

Here are a few sample images:

With some strong light from a skylight above it actually has some promise, aside from the fact that the focus is non existent. This thing is fuzzier than a Holga!

Serious light falloff, out of focus, a landscape photographers nightmare... and fringe artists dream!

This was the only shot with some focus in it, which suggests that it must have a sweet spot somewhere in it's focal range.

Just when I thought the camera was a total waste of my hard earned cash I discovered a wonderful feature that I could not have hoped or dreamed for! Check out the fabulous lens flare on these:


You simply can't do that on any dslr or slr! This camera is great at this one application and it does it in a totally outstanding way! Money can't buy a lens from Nikon or Canon that can do this very special effect, and for so cheap too!

So if you want a camera that is a bargain hunters dream, with the built in lens flare feature, and with the added benefit of extra security (who would want to steal this?), then this is the camera for you! It scores 10 out of 10 on the Krummy Camera scale!

Until my next Krummy Camera review, happy shooting!


PS: if anyone in South Africa would like to recieve this Kodak VR35 absolutly free, then you are welcome to contact me and arrange to pick it up.

8 comments:

  1. you've got a lovely blog here, great pictures. nice to meet a fellow south african...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that lens flare is wonderful fun! Really it is...but I still don't want the camera. :) Looking forward to checking out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the lens flare effect, especially the last shot, love your blog header

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you got a limited series lens there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a modern cousin of this camera, also a Kodak. So they hadn't given up on this format until recenlty. You'll see them for All Saint's Day.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have a crummy old compact - Oly Trip 200. It's has some electric stuff but no AF. Like all cheap compact the focus, aperture and lens are fix. At least it has a reasonable 31mm lens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for Krummy Kameras! They keep us honest in a strange way...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete